Monday 30 March 2009

Pampering, in a round about sort of a way

** WARNING: THIS POST IS ABOUT BOSOMS, SO IF YOU'RE JUST FEELING TOO MASCULINE FOR A DISCUSSION OF THIS SORT, FEEL FREE TO CLICK AWAY NOW!**

Today was the first day of my maternity leave, and the top job on the agenda was buying some nursing bras. You can't buy these until you are 36 or 37 weeks pregnant since it's unclear until then what size you'll need. In my case the promised pregnancy-related mega-breasts never did arrive, much to the disappointment of Husbandio and self. And today, to my mortification, it turned out that the smallest size of nursing bra you can get is a C cup (at least, it is in John Lewis, fortunately not in M&S!). Trying on and failing to fill several Cs in a row was pretty depressing. Especially when I could hear the fitting consultant in the next door changing room saying to another woman "right, so you're a 38 G". That must make just one of her breasts bigger than my head, surely. I think I'm happier as I am, on reflection.

I ended up buying 2 Elle McPherson bras in John Lewis for a grand total of £50. Seems a shame to be spending so much on bosoms that (a) are clearly too small to deserve it, (b) are never going to be anyone's playthings since that person would be in terrible danger of being hit in the eye by a jet of milk, and (c) will quickly ruin these nice bras by soaking them with sticky breastmilk. (It really is sticky, consistency like Diet Coke if you let it dry - yuk!). They didn't have any night bras though and Elle's ones just didn't look comfy enough to sleep in, too much lace and frill. So I bought some nice basic ones in M&S as well for a much more reasonable £25 for two. And if the M&S ones are comfy I may just take the John Lewis ones back and get more from M&S. In that scenario sorry Elle, you're toast.

After writing this I thought I'd see if there were good places to get these kinds of things online, and I found this link: does this really look like a nursing mother?! Where are the bags under the eyes, and the rattled look?!

1 comment:

  1. Don't take the JL ones back! Not being completely sensible is a form of pampering. I'll bet somewhere in your unconscious was a thought that a teeny bit of lace, so not you and so not sensible, might be fun?

    ReplyDelete