Thursday 12 March 2009

I want to climb Kilimanjaro too!

I'm writing this while watching the Comic Relief programme about the celebs going up Kilimanjaro, and it's really making me want to do it too! Not right now of course, don't think going up at 34 weeks pregnant would be a good idea. But I really fancy the idea of quite a serious physical challenge. There would be a couple of criteria though:
  • No running. Running and I do not get on.
  • Some kind of sleeping mat - no sleeping on bare ground. Physical challenge plus bad night's sleep does not sounds like fun either.
  • Not too heavy a bag to carry. I love walking, and think my stamina's quite good, but carrying an enormous rucksack would seriously detract from the experience as well.
I think that may well be one criteria too many actually - perhaps I'm reducing the level of this physical challenge to a stroll in the park! I watched a series recently with Ben Fogle on which he took people on various expeditions and those looked really good too, although the big rucksacks did put me off, I must admit. And I'd be worried about going up a mountain or something, since my lung capacity is not much to write home about at the best of time given my tendency to asthma.

So, I need to come up with a list of challenges (possibly, by the time I do it, suitable for the over 40s!) - hey, it could even be a family challenge, and Husbandio and I could watch our children achieve whatever it is much more easily then either of us. Now there's a cheerful thought!

2 comments:

  1. Why dont you start by making me a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do a walking challenge with you - couldn't do the whole high altitude thing due to my fear of being ill from altitude sickness thing but a nice low level (English style) hike. "Bring on the Wall.. sorry meant Walking Boots" :)

    ReplyDelete