Saturday 28 March 2009

The first kitchen crisis

We still have a beautiful kitchen, but with one small flaw. OK, quite a big flaw. The oven exploded this morning. Oops.

One of the things which we needed to do with the oven was to run it on high to burn off any of the chemicals left inside it after the manufacturing process. I did that to the top oven a couple of days ago with no problems, and then cooked a delicious (though I say so myself) quiche. We'd invited a couple of friends round to lunch tomorrow to christen the kitchen with a Sunday roast, so I thought I'd better burn off the bottom oven as well, since when you run it for the first time to get rid of the chemicals it really stinks. So, I set it to the top temperature on the fan setting, as advised in the instructions, and went upstairs for a shower. I left my mum in the kitchen chopping leeks and potatoes for some soup (thanks Mum!) and Isabel was watching Mickey Mouse clubhouse in the lounge.

When I came out of the shower there was a nasty burning smell, which I'd been expecting, smelt just like it had when I'd done the same thing with the top oven. My mum was getting dressed and Isabel was still watching TV, and when I went into the kitchen to get the soup started I found loads of black bits all over the floor, which I quickly realised was the remains of the oven door. Below is what the door looked like afterwards:

It was incredibly lucky that no-one was actually in the kitchen at the time since they'd have been peppered with very hot glass shrapnel - it must have blown with quite some force since pieces of glass were spread from one end of the room to the other.

So, we still have a beautiful kitcken, but now have to get the oven replaced. Hopefully that'll be early next week. And until then, it's food on the hob and no Sunday roast for us tomorrow. The leek and potato soup was nice though! And the underfloor heating works a treat and is a thing of beauty - worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment