Friday 20 March 2009

Heston is my favourite TV chef

Husbandio and I have just watched Heston's Medieval Feast and it's propelled Heston Blumenthal to the top of my TV chef list. Traditionally I've always been a Gordon fan (the thinking woman's bit of rough, if you take my meaning), but the trouble with Gordon is that he publishes books that you're actually meant to be able to cook from, and so far I've never managed that successfully. His wife on the other hand produces eminently cookable recipes, but my skill levels clearly aren't on a Gordon par. Not yet, anyway.

Now Heston, on the other hand, does not cook food which you could even think about trying to re-create at home. Indeed, at the start of the Medieval Feast program, he warns viewers not to try this at home. What a liberating statement from a TV chef! The things he made were just so interesting - fruit made of meat, four-and-twenty blackbirds baked in a pie, and edible cutlery and candles. The research and the thought behind it were fascinating - and we still have to watch the Tudor feast episode which I'm really looking forward to. And, once the Fat Duck has been proven once again to be bug-free, I might even try to book a table - Husbandio tried to once, unsuccessfully - clearly we need to hire a PA to accomplish this particular task!

No comments:

Post a Comment