Tuesday 15 September 2009

You can choose your friends...

I realised the other day that, while I very much enjoyed my university experience, almost all of my really close friends are either from school or from periods after university, such as when I was on a kibbutz for nine months. What happened to those uni friends? Where did they go? Was it something I said?

Having mulled this strange phenomenon for a little while, I've come to the conclusion that uni was probably such a melting pot that, while I was close to a lot of people while I was there, there can't have been that many people with whom I really had a lot in common. My school friends and I must have had more fundamentals in common, and it's those friendships which have endured. Kibbutz friendships have also proved very resilient - in fact, this very weekend I have two such friends coming for a sleepover, and I'm really looking forward to it. Actually, I suppose you could say three friends, since Husbandio is also a kibbutz friend, so it'll be a really nice mini-reunion. I thought being on FB would throw a lot more people at me whom I didn't really want to be in touch with any more - luckily that's not been the case. I hope I haven't spoken too soon.....!

No comments:

Post a Comment