Thursday 10 September 2009

Different shades of cold

Isn't it weird how colds affect people in different ways, even when it's the same cold virus? We've all had colds this week which has been less fun than giving myself a paper cut and pouring lemon juice in in it (OK, I stole that line from Billy Crystal in The Princess Bride, so sue me). Isabel shrugged it off, and was left with a slight cough which I think we've knocked on the head with Triaminic, a US cough medicine which works miles better than anything we've ever bought in the UK. The trouble is that Isabel, like me, will cough for a good two weeks after a cold if we don't try to get rid of it quickly. When this happened to me last year I was pregnant, had a weakened immune system, and ended up with three successive chest infections and bad asthma which lasted til the end of the pregnancy. So we try not to let coughs linger!

Husbandio, however, never gets a cough. He gets what he describes as a fog in his head, and this can take a while to clear, even after the cold has gone. With this cold he's also had really sensitive ears, so Isabel's driving him mad because she's naturally loud. She's even louder now however since I think the cold has left her a little deaf so she keeps shouting when she doesn't need to - it's like she's wearing headphones all the time!

As for me, I've been left with a cough, as ever, and very blocked sinuses which I hope doesn't mean I'll develop sinusitis, as I have in the past. The blocked sinuses also mean I've lost my sense of taste which is a right pain in the backside. I love my food, and miss tasting it - please, sense of taste, come back soon!

But how is it that one cold virus can affect all of us in such different ways? And who will Emsy take after? Not sure as yet, but she has her own talent down pat already - the girl can blow the biggest snot bubbles you've ever seen. If only I'd had my camera...!

No comments:

Post a Comment