Monday 28 September 2009

Repitition, repitition, repitition

I'm blogging while catching up with this weekend's X Factor, and it suddenly struck me how repititive it is. Obviously the format is repetitive, although they've made efforts to remedy that this year by holding the auditions in front of a live audience, but the voiceover is repetitive too, and it just doesn't need to be. I always quite liked Dermot O'Leary, but if I hear him saying "And no-one wants it more than Stacey from Dagenham", or whoever it happens to be, I swear I'll chuck something substantial at the telly. All of the contestants want to win, they all want to move out of their grotty flats and shed the detritis of their depressing lives - we know this, but none of them want it more than anyone else, stop going on about it!

Of course, the X Factor's not the only show guilty of this. After watching a series of Masterchef Goes Large I could pretty much do the voiceover myself. In fact, the only reality-type TV show that has studiously avoided this trap is Location, Location, Location - Kirstie and Phil are Gods of Property, and should be put forward as case studies at TV Presenter school. Sarah Beeny has her moments too, but she delivers her lines with a level of irritating smugness that Kirstie and Phil don't have. We know that they think the househunter in question is a moron, but in a friendly and non-offensive way. I may also have to take lessons, having thought about it - I think a lot of people are morons but I'm patronising about it, like Sarah Beeny, and thereby reveal my hand too early. Anyone got Kirstie's phone number?

1 comment:

  1. Kirstie is on Twitter: KirstieMAllsopp

    Contact her that way :)

    ReplyDelete