Tuesday 17 February 2009

Working from home is definitely the way of the future

I went in to the office for the first time since Christmas today, and it made me much more sure about the concept of working from home. The journey in was interminable (signal failure between Finchley Road and Baker Street), so the door to door journey was just under two hours. Walking up the stairs is much quicker. Admittedly, I did have time to read 120 pages of my book and also skim read Metro, but two hours seemed excessive. Journey home was better, but still 90 minutes. And for this joy I paid the princely sum of £12. Rip off. At least I could claim back for the morning delay (and have done so already!).

I also found it oddly difficult to concentrate, not quite sure why that was. Might have been the heating - the place seemed boiling, and the dial on my radiator is broken so I couldn't turn it off. The little things that always irritated me about the office seemed magnified somehow. It's a managed office so we have to use the microwave in the kitchen, which means going up and down in the lift with whatever you've just nuked for your lunch. Luckily it was last night's Toad in the Hole, not soup. And the doors lock themselves behind you, so woe betide you if you leave your keys on your desk when you go for a pee.

Of course, there were good points as well - seeing my friend and colleague MJ was great, and I'm looking forward to a nice curry with her and an ex-colleague later in the week. She and I communicate in so many ways though (Skype, Twitter, Facebook, our blogs) that we're not in danger of losing touch if I do start working from home full time. So, I've asked my boss if I can change locations from office to home for the weeks running up to my maternity leave, and then when I get back to work in October. She and I are having breakfast next week and that's one of the topics on the agenda - will report then on what she decides!

Oh, there was one other nice bit of being in the office, and that was the coming home. Husbandio and child both seemed pleased to see me, and I even had a gift awaiting me. That Husbandio - he really doesn't like being pushed into buying these things on specific days!

No comments:

Post a Comment