Saturday 28 February 2009

My contrary child

Sometimes I think that Isabel likes to do the opposite of whatever I've asked her to do, just for the sake of being contrary. And then I realise that of course this is exactly what she's doing, since she is her father's daughter after all. She's actually not been too bad today - during the "terrible twos" she had phases of just being a bundle of No, it was as if she'd forgotten every other word in the English language.
I've learnt, obviously, to play this to my advantage wherever possible. For example, in the shoe shop yesterday I made a fuss over the shoes next to the ones I actually wanted her to have, so of course she ignored them, and went for the ones I'd wanted all along. Cunning.
These little tricks don't always work though. This evening, since Husbandio is out playing badminton and then having dinner with a friend he doesn't see too often, I decided we'd have a decadent tea of blueberry pancakes. Not standard dinner fare, but not too bad - only eggs, milk, flour and blueberries really. We shared them between us and she ate exactly as much as me - how I don't know, since I was stuffed once I'd finished. But no, she then gave me a sideways glance, and whispered "let's find some dessert in the fridge...!" I'd kind of thought that blueberry pancakes were both main course and dessert but no, she wanted something else, so I joked "well, you'd better have a pork pie then" - and that's exactly what she did. The whole thing. Good job it was only a mini one. She's clearly regained the upper hand now - how can I play things to my advantage if she's sometimes going to unexpectedly agree with me? Curse that clever child!

1 comment:

  1. People who live in glasshouse etc etc

    ReplyDelete