Thursday 12 February 2009

More musical education

Finally, Isabel has moved out of the stage of only liking nursery rhymes, kids songs, and anything by Disney. And luckily she's not quite at the stage of hating everything that her parents like, so both Husbandio and I are throwing our favourite music at her in the hope that she'll come to favour one or other of us. At present it's pretty even - she very much likes Lil Devil by the Cult (his choice) but is also now very much enjoying the Beach Boys (my choice), and demanded that Help Me Rhonda be played several times in a row over breakfast today. It was a lovely sunny morning, for a change, and both of us felt quite nice and summery after a Beach Boys breakfast - until we went out the door and realised that it was only -1C. That brought us back to real life with a bit of a bump.

One problem is that, because she's such a little sponge, she'll collect dreadful songs as well as stuff we like. And when I say dreadful, I mean commonly acknowledged as not being very good e.g. The Macarena, or the Ketchup Song. But I've also caught her singing Black and Gold and Sweet About Me so she's getting into some fairly modern stuff as well, almost by accident, because they're being played on the radio or are on compilation CDs which we've bought. I need to get some Johnny Cash going next I think. We'll start with the old classics and then move forward - I'm not sure that sending her to school singing My Own Personal Jesus is going to win me any points with the teachers or the other parents!

2 comments:

  1. surely personal jesus was by depeche mode?
    How about Rage against the machine? I'm sure the headmaster of her school would be pleased to hear her humming "**** you I wont do what you tell me"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend the Prodigy as good learning material for a small child. Lots of new words for her to learn like "Smack my bitch up" :)

    ReplyDelete