Tuesday 3 February 2009

She can read!!!

This has been a red letter day - after four weeks of school, Isabel is reading! Whole words, and even sentences! I could barely contain my excitement. She's still bringing home the silly books with no words (I shall request that this is the last one!) but today also brought home a set of words attached to a treasury tag. The idea is to take them off, read each one, and then arrange them as different sentences, and she thought it was great fun. She read all of them straight off except "see", which is tricky when you're spelling it out phonetically, but she soon got the hang of it, and we played around with them for a good 10 minutes.


I'm thrilled for her, partly because reading is such a love of mine and it's fantastic to see her enjoying it as well. And partly because there seems to be so much talk of dyslexia nowadays that it's nice to see her picking up the words so quickly and not displaying, at least as far as I can see, any signs that reading might be a challenge for her. Part of me, though, feels a bit sad - I love the idea of her reading to herself, but reading has been a big part of the bonding experience between the two of us, so I'm keen to make sure that we carry on having a lot of reading time together. I realise I'm worrying about this a little bit early, but that's just part of my nature, I like to get the worrying started in plenty of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment