Friday 20 February 2009

A day at IKEA - heaven or hell?

Isabel and I and a teacher friend of mine who is on half term spent much of today in IKEA, which I admit would be some people's idea of hell. Husbandio springs to mind here. And my dad. Perhaps it's just all men! Anyway, I went with a list, which was a good idea, since otherwise there's a real daner of coming out having spent loads of money on stuff which I didn't really want. The main thing I wanted to do was to get accessories for our new kitchen, on which the builders will hopefully be starting work at the beginning of March. I managed to get everything I wanted, which was nothing short of miraculous. Having to traipse all the way back there would have been most irritating. Some things are just so much cheaper to get in IKEA than anywhere else, and I'm not sure I quite understand why - I bought all the downlighters for underneath the new units plus two track lights for the ceiling for about half what I would have paid elsewhere. And also bought fun stuff like a magnetic knife rack (which I almost had to leave behind as it got very attached to the metal bagging up area by the till, and I could barely prise it loose)!

Isabel just loves IKEA, and I think that's why it's a pleasurable shopping experience for me. After all, happy kids = happy parents = parents prepared to spend more than if they were desperately rushing round the store in an effort to escape as soon as possible. We had a nice lunch (meatballs, natch) before setting off, so no cries of thirst or hunger, and lots of play time in the restaurant play area and the kids section. And when she got tired, we just popped her in the trolley with the shopping! It really is a shop designed for kids, since there's plenty to explore. And keeping the kids happy is the best marketing ploy I can think of - she was still beaming as we drove away, having thoroughly enjoyed a ride on the merry go round on the way out, which was her reward for good behaviour. Mummy's reward was some chocolate, which is calling me from the cupboard. Even Daddy got a gift, a bag of mini Dime bars (although I think the best gift for him was not having to come with us....!)

No comments:

Post a Comment