Saturday 17 January 2009

When do people read?

In the last few weeks I've been working from home, and have been struggling to find any time to read.  I knew the commuting time was useful for something, and now it's clear what that something is: ploughing through some books.  I sometimes used to work on the commute, since it's about a 50 minute Tube ride from Baker Street out to the sticks.  And sleeping was also often a feature, of course - I'm a great sleeper.  I always used to say I could sleep on a clothes line, but then my husband trumped me by falling asleep at a Texas gig.  At the Royal Albert Hall.  In the second row.  On Valentine's Day.  No wonder I was swept off my feet.

So, back to reading.  All I've managed to get through so far this year is a book on the impact of texting on the development of language (more interesting than it sounds!) and now I'm half way through The Hippotamus by Stephen Fry.  I'm a massive Fry fan, read his autobiography (Moab is my Washpot) last year and loved it, but I'm finding this one really hard going.  The characters are unremittingly unpleasant, and do horrid things to themselves and each other, and sometimes to farmyward animals.  I kid you not.  I've only got about 80 pages to go, so can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it's a hard slog.  

The combination of no commuting time plus not enjoying my book has really slowed me up - usually I'm on a couple of books a week, and I like it that way.  I need to carve some time out of the day specifically for reading but can't quite work out when - too busy in the morning and during the day, and too tired at night.  But it must be done, this slow pace can't continue - Husbandio has read more books than me this year, and that's not a state of affairs which I can allow to persist!  Some people get up early to go to the gym or walk the dog - perhaps I'll start setting the alarm for 6.30am to get some reading time in.  New baby, oddly, will help I think - not much else to do while breastfeeding other than read or watch TV - so that's something to look forward to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment