Monday 12 January 2009

The mundanity of day to day life

I'm not sure why this is on my mind today. Perhaps it's a result of spending a lot of time at home, but I've found myself doing lots of jobs which are, to be frank, very dull! How do housewives stay sane?! In the last couple of days I have:
  • Loaded and unloaded the dishwasher several times
  • Tidied the playroom (with and without help!) several times
  • Washed a lot of mud off Isabel's boots, turning them back to black from brown
  • Tidied away the dry washing, several times
  • Done the ironing
  • Run the washing machine and done the laundry, several times.
The things I enjoyed doing most were those which I didn't do time and time and time again - no great surprise there. And you'll note that cooking isn't on that list - I've done quite a lot of cooking, but since I really enjoy that I don't find it too mundane. Even cleaning the girl's disgustingly muddy boots was fun in a way (won't be if I have to do it again tomorrow!).


Actually, thinking about it, one reason for this post has to do with holidays. I doubt we'll have a holiday this year what with a new baby on the way and the difficulties of travelling with a little one, but the thought of doing all these jobs day after day after day for the next 18 months without a break is quite dispiriting. Which I suppose is the point of holidays - a change is as good as a rest, as they say. Maybe we'll win the lottery and spend a few weeks in a luxury baby-friendly hotel - then again, since I don't play the lottery this seems unlikely! Perhaps we should just bite the bullet and go somewhere, since the thoughts of entertaining a 4 year old for six weeks of summer holiday in addition to all the mundane jobs of everyday life is not filling me with glee.

1 comment: