Friday 30 January 2009

They grow up so fast

I know, it's a terrible cliche. But that's the thing about cliches, they have usually become cliches because they're true. Actually, some time with children drags by terribly slowly, and then that makes you feel guilty (OK, strike that, makes me feel guilty). Breast-feeding at night is one example, which I think I've mentioned before - others include reading badly written stories, and playing hide and seek. I can manage two rounds, but that's about it.

Anyway, part of you feels the time dragging by and then, boom, they start school - how did that happen? There's a silver lining of course, in that as they get older they can do more stuff for themselves, like getting dressed. Isabel gets her school uniform on every morning with no help from anyone and it's marvellous - of course, to her it's a game of "I'm the winner at getting dressed and Daddy's the loser" - but whatever works is fine with me. She also thinks she can do her own hair - not quite so good at that though. "A" for effort though I think.


However, we're now working on cleaning. She loves our ostrich feather duster but I'm too worried about her sweeping vases and ornaments off shelves to let her go really crazy. This came a close second though.


Of course, wearing the right outfit adds to the enjoyment of these mundane household tasks.


See, that's a smile, honest! Where is the line between child exploitation and giving a sense of responsibility and ownership over one's environment? Answers on an e-postcard.....

1 comment:

  1. Coming from someone with no kids I would say exploit as much as possible because before you know it they will realise what you are doing and won't doing anything you tell them!

    I like hide and seek but I have found that below the age of 6 they seem to hide in the same place a lot, which is a tad boring.

    ReplyDelete