Friday 16 January 2009

What's with all this pregnancy lark, eh?

When I was pregnant with Isabel four years ago, I only had one friend who was pregnant at the same time - we were seven weeks apart and it was lovely going through it with someone else.  However, I also felt like a bit of a loner since none of my other friends were pregnant or already had kids, at least until I was nearing the end of my pregnancy.

This time, it's all change.  At least five of my friends had babies last year (and in fact two of them had twins. That's IVF for you - no babies for ages, and then two come along at once).  And what's weird is that, in the aspect where I thought I might be a loner, I'm actually surrounded by friends.  I've been concerned that we waited too long to have Child #2, since there will be 4.5 years between them, and several of my friends who had children after I did already have two by now.  However, we're not alone in the size of the gap - two of the friends I made through baby groups when Isabel was little are either pregnant or have just had their second.  I'm also becoming increasingly pleased with the size of the age gap since I've been so enjoying talking about the new baby with Isabel, since she really understands what's happening and how long it will all take.  Well, luckily she doesn't understand quite everything - she knows the baby came from a seed, but thinks I swallowed it.  Don't think I'll disabuse her of this idea quite yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment