Sunday 25 January 2009

Body clock, tick tock

Husbandio and I still have friends without children, and were earlier living vicariously through one of them. A friend had told him recently that she'd left her house after midnight to go out to a club. His reaction had been "ah yes, I remember the days... (sigh)", while mine was "after midnight? time to be in bed, surely!". It reminded me of the time when I knew my backpacking days were over - I saw a girl on the tube with a really big rucksack and instead of thinking "gosh, wonder where she's going?", I thought, "gosh, that looks heavy". I never backpacked again!

Even in my younger days, my body clock could manage with being out until about 2am, but that was really my limit, and if I wasn't in bed shortly after that, I'd just get tired, boring and grumpy. Then again, I'm almost never able to sleep past 8am, so I can't catch up by way of a lie-in. This is the complete opposite of Husbandio. For years this was great - he had some "me time" in the evening to play Playstation or whatever, and I had time in the mornings to watch Casualty, Holby City, ER and all of the other medical drama rubbish which I love. However, after Isabel came along this pattern turned around and bit me in the bum - my "me time" is now consumed by reading her stories and making breakfast, while his continues undisturbed while both she and I are in bed. How did this happen?! I've now become so pathetic in terms of staying up in the evening that I'm renowned for falling asleep on the sofa even when we have friends round, particularly if we put a movie on. I'm only awake now because I made it safely through the "danger period" of between 9-10pm by standing up and doing the ironing - I've never fallen asleep stading up, although I suspect there's always a first time. Just hope it doesn't happen with an iron in my hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment