Wednesday 7 January 2009

Back to work with a bump

Just a short post today since it's already gone 10pm and my eyes are all prickly and tired.  Despite only theoretically working half days at the moment I seem to have done a really long day today - did my three hours in the morning, then took a train into town to attend a Board meeting of a trade association, followed by an evening reception for the same organisation.  The three hours in the morning was tiring because it's such a short period of time so I'm finding myself working very intensively, pausing only for a pee, a drink, or to turn the fan heater on (still very cold here!).  And then the Board meeting was three hours as well,  followed by just over two hours of standing around and hobnobbing and eating strange finger food.  So, rather more than a three hour day today I think!

That's the first way in which I feel I've come back to work with a bump - after 2.5 weeks off I could already do with a few days off, after only two days back.  The other way is to do with my pregnancy - I can't tell you the number of people who, after learning that I'm due in April, have said "gosh, you really aren't showing, what a small bump!".  I should really let this flow over me, partly because that's exactly what happened with Isabel, but it's getting to me a bit because, in my pregnant paranoid state,  it feels like people are suggesting that the baby is under-sized.  Actually, I think many are just jealous (I don't want to be a heifer for months, thank you very much!), but having been worried about not feeling much movement earlier on in the pregnancy I just feel like I don't need any suggestions, intended or otherwise, that there might be something wrong.  I guess that pretty much 100% of this is in my head, and that no-one is really suggesting that the baby is too small.  Maybe I need a t-shirt saying "No comments on size of bump please"!   

2 comments:

  1. That's not a small post - that's a nice neat two paragraph post (like I write)! :)

    I noticed that your bump has got bigger yesterday so don't take any notice of everyone else. Just remember you most probably don't want a 10lb baby, as I can only imagine, that would be really painful labour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, I suggest not archiving the internal thoughts as soon as the Is gets her own email and password!! I wonder if there might have been some mixed feelings when she settled so calmly? A friend of ours said that their youngest son (of 3) saw his mother when she came to pick him up after his first day at school, and said reflectively "Oh, that's nice. You come back, then"

    ReplyDelete