Thursday 28 January 2010

Do I want an iPad? Well, I wouldn't turn one away....

I spent much of the day reading about the new Apple iPad and writing a piece on it for work. It's a pretty fun job sometimes. And while I love my iPod Touch and am a bit of a gadget geek I'm not sure that I want an iPad. Yet.

There's a few reasons for this. Firstly, I don't use my iPod Touch as much as I thought I would. Our Wifi signal upstairs isn't brilliant so while I would have liked to use it in bed the signal quality means that I don't very often. I used to use it a lot when I was still breastfeeding - it's a brilliant gadget to rest on the arm of a chair while feeding and catch up with something on BBC iPlayer, or check e-mail. Also, I want to do things with it that I can't do - for example, I'd like to copy DVDs onto it but haven't worked out how to do this. And since I'm not commuting any more, I don't use it much as a music player. I do if I'm taking Emily for a walk if I think she'll fall asleep, but if I want her to stay awake I tend to leave it at home so that I can chat to her (she's probably thinking "shut up mother, for goodness sake!").

So I'm worried that while I love the look of the iPad, I might not really use it. I use my laptop all day and most evenings, but usually I'm do a lot of typing which isn't really what the iPad is designed for. And if I want to watch a DVD or a TV show I'll use the TV (controversial, I know). And as for e-books - I still can't resist the feel of a print on paper book. Latent Luddite tendencies. Finally, I've never really been someone who buys into the first version of a new gadget - I usually dribble over it for ages, and finally get one in its second or third iteration.

So I don't think I'm an iPad customer yet. But I hope to grow up and become one sooner or later, and if anyone's got an iPad going spare I would be happy to take it off their hands....!

No comments:

Post a Comment