Sunday 3 January 2010

Back to work, along with everyone else

Tomorrow's the day that it seemed would never come - back to work. Although, since I'll be doing this along with everyone else after the Christmas break, at least I won't be alone. I'm actually quite looking forward to it even though I have very much enjoyed my maternity leave. For one thing, getting a proper salary at the end of each month will be marvellous, I've missed it. £450-odd quid in statutory maternity pay just isn't the same thing, doesn't even cover the mortgage.

Using my brain for more than planning the pureeing menu will also be good. While writing this blog has kept my writing muscle exercised to some extent, getting my teeth into some real writing and analysis will be great.

Finally, since my company has been very flexible and is allowing me to work 9am - 3pm from home every day, I'm hoping that I'll be able to achieve the mythical work-life balance. Although I have a concern that work-life balance may mean time for work and time for the kids, while Husbandio and I get dragged along in the wake. Even now, if I have five minutes free to read my book then I relish every second.

Which leads me on to my New Year's Resolutions for this year.
  1. Use better language in front of Isabel (she said something was a real pain in the arse the other day, oops!)
  2. Maintain a more even temper in the face of really irritating things (OK, this one may be beyond me, but I'll try, I promise)
  3. Make time for me time, and for us time. This one I'm determined to get right! Wish me luck.....

No comments:

Post a Comment