Sunday 1 November 2009

Everyone is brighter than me at the moment

We've had a lovely day - it was my stepmother's birthday so she and my dad came round for lunch. Isabel made pesto puffs (picture below!) which were delicious, I made lamb stew with dumplings, and Husbandio made yet another scrumptious cake. Isabel and I helped a bit, but he did most of it - he's becoming a baker extraordinaire!



It was also a day on which I didn't do anything stupid, or not noticeably stupid at any rate. Which makes a change recently, since my brain's been rather unreliable, to say the least. However, despite this I'm still clearly the dimmest person in the house. I present two pieces of evidence to support this:
  1. I've been really struggling to give Emily her antibiotics. She has to have 2.5ml of this noxious banana-y liquid three times a day and it's so disgusting it almost makes me gag. When I try to give it to her, using a dispensing syringe, she won't open her mouth, always tries to spit it out, and this horrible flourescent yellow liquid runs down her cheeks and into the creases in her neck. So, I got Husbandio to give it to her at lunchtime. Problem solved, I thought. He came down saying "no problem, she took it all, no spillage". How so, thought I? So, when he gave it to her in the evening I watched, and she opened her mouth like a little star and drank her medicine like a pro. What?! Never happened for me! So I took the syringe and had a go myself and she did it for me too, leaving me looking like a moron saying "that's not what she did before...!" I swear she looked at him and winked, the little minx.
  2. I read that a new piece of research has been done, which found that breastmilk is not only tuned to the individual baby's needs, but to their needs at specific times of day. So, if you express some milk in the morning for someone else to feed the baby in the evening, don't expect them to have a good night's sleep - in the evening they need bedtime milk. Very interesting, I thought, until I realised that this means that even my boobs are cleverer than me at the moment. Dear oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment