Friday 6 November 2009

Do I need a hobby?

This seems a silly question, since I appear to be quite busy enough at the moment. I'm even wondering how I'm going to have time to get back to work since every second of the day already seems to be accounted for. I am, of course, going back to work despite this problem, but I'm just finding it a little hard to imagine.

The reason I've been thinking about a hobby is to solve a problem which is nothing to do with boredom or having too much time on my hands. It's to do with sleep. Specifically, I have an annoying tendency to put the kids to bed, sit on the couch, turn the telly on, and fall fast asleep. I then stagger upstairs a couple of hours later, perfunctorily brush my teeth, and fall into bed. How boring! However, on recent nights I've had things to do in the evening (sort out some photos, and make a birthday card) and those activities have happily kept me awake while still watching something on TV. Hence the question - do I need a hobby?

It'd have to be something reasonably uncomplicated, so that's probably knitting out of the running. And I'd like to end up with a product I actually want, so bye bye crocheting. I'm not quite artistic enough for drawing, and while I fancy the idea of being able to make a skirt or some curtains I don't want to have to use a sewing machine since that would drown out the telly! The hobby I was thinking of, therefore, was quilting. Does that sound terribly sad? I fear it does. But it could be fun, and I've always been a big fan of a quilt. Perhaps this is an early sign of a mid-life crisis! I think Husbandio may be going through something similar, since he seems to have taken up baking recently. If your husband's going to have a mid-life crisis though, this one comes highly recommended - it's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment