Tuesday 9 February 2010

I wasn't that busy, but somehow....

When I went back to work at the beginning of January things were pretty quiet for a few weeks. I didn't get too many tasks coming my way - maybe people had forgotten about me while I was gone, and it took a while to realise I was back. And I wasn't going to stand up and wave my hand around for more work since I know how these things expand to fill the time available, whether or not you're already busy. So I kept my head down under the parapet, reintroduced myself to clients, caught up on my reading, and responded to all e-mails very promptly.

And this week, the tide turned. I have a new role, looking at educational publishing markets, which I think will be great, so I've been busy putting together ideas for reports to write, getting some articles under my belt, answering client queries, setting up meetings and getting right back into the swing. And having 8.30pm calls with folks in California, always a pleasure....! I now also find I have a bunch of new clients, so more intros etc. to be made. But that'll have to wait til later in the week.

And in addition to work, I've got things to do on the home front as well. Yesterday I packed up all of our baby clothes and things we weren't using to give to my sister-in-law, who is having her first baby in April - oddly enough, she's due on Emily's birthday. It was a massive pile - 5 carrier bags of clothes, a baby bath, a bath seat, two play mats, a bouncy chair, a sleeping bag, a Moses basket - so our house is free and clear and hers is brimming. Lovely to get rid of stuff which we WILL NOT BE NEEDING AGAIN but also a little sad - I admit to keeping a couple of little dresses and babygros. Couldn't help it, sentimental old fool that I am. As well as that I'm trying to finish a quilted cushion cover which I'm making for Isabel, and read a book quickly (The Little Stranger) because I can only have it out of the library for a week. I'm enjoying it, but finding it hard to find the time to read - luckily I'm off into town tomorrow which means a Tube journey so that'll help.

All of this activity has led me to where I am now. Blogging in the kitchen, standing up, while cooking fajitas. Now that's dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment