Thursday 25 February 2010

Doomed to a life of blubber

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I've been bemoaning the fact that having a home office means I have reduced the amount of exercise I do each week from laughable to imperceptible. And it turns out I'm right, and that home working could send me to an early grave. Well, that's what I read into this blog post from the New York Times. For those of you so lazy that you can't even move your finger far enough to click on the link, it basically says that sitting is bad for you. And advocates a stand-up desk with a treadmill.

Now, this is clearly crazy talk. But it did worry me enough that I spent a 30 minute conference call earlier hanging out the washing and then pacing round the office in an effort to keep my metabolism going before it decides that life just isn't worth living. And it even made me leave the house to walk to school to pick up Isabel (it's a three mile round trip, and it was raining). The problem is that the article says that even if sedentary office workers make the effort to go to the gym regularly, that this still isn't enough. It's the sitting down for long periods of time which does the damage, whether you go to the gym or not. I read this to mean that there's no point going to the gym, which is great news. But I'll keep on pacing round the office, just in case. And maybe put a treadmill on my Amazon wish list, but marked as the lowest priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment