Sunday 14 February 2010

A confession

OK, deep breath - here it is. My confession is...... that I like Valentine's Day. There, I said it. How unfashionable I am, in this as in so many other things.

The run up to Valentine's is always dominated by people jeering about how it's so commercial, and how they refuse to partake and line the pockets of Hallmark. And they whinge about how red roses treble in price, and you can't get a reservation at a decent restaurant for love nor money.

And to these folks I say - stop whinging! I too am not lining Hallmark's pockets, or buying hyperinflated red roses, and I don't expect anyone to do that for me. But what I do enjoy is someone caring enough to stop for a moment and show some love. Doesn't even require any money - in fact, cheap as I am, the less that is spent the better.

Most of the time I'm pretty cynical, but I like the idea that one day of the year reminds us to stop, look around, and tell our nearest and dearest that we love them. Our mantelpiece does look a little like an explosion in a card factory, I admit. There's three from me (one to Hubs and one each to the girls), three from Husbandio (one to each of us), and three from Isabel to her mummy, her daddy and her baby sis. We had great fun this morning with some red card and heart stickers, and spent hardly anything on the endeavour. And what I did spend went to the local craft shop and the local chocolate shop, so I was supporting local businesses too.

So I say, loud and proud, Happy Valentine's Day! And pass the chocs please....

No comments:

Post a Comment