Friday 19 June 2009

Weighty matters

The health visitor came round this morning with the standard post-natal depression questionnaire. I was surprised that they do it so late (between 8-10 weeks apparently) - I'd have thought it would have been preferable to pick it up earlier than that. Maybe the crazy hormones situation post-pregnancy means that it's too hard to tell who's depressed and who's not any earlier than eight weeks!

The poor woman must think I'm mad though. I usually get Emily weighed on Fridays, but didn't take her today because of the health visitor coming. But she didn't have any scales, so I had to answer all her questions in about two minutes flat ("yes yes, I'm fine, perfectly happy, not hint of glumness, OK bye!") then sprint out the door to the baby weighing clinic. If I'd known she was scale-less I'd have gone earlier. I hope she doesn't think I'm trying to avoid the whole post-natal depression issue! Oh dear, if she does I'll have well-meaning people calling round all the time, full of social worker-type concern. Oops....

I was though much more concerned about Em's weight gain than about depression, which patently I do not have. I'm always this grumpy, particularly in the evenings. I'm going to be a really bad grumpy old lady in twenty years, that'll be fun. Anyway, Emily is now two months old, and only just over 9lb. She's really quite small (we're going with the word petite, sounds more flattering), Isabel was nearly 11lb at the same age. So I've been a bit worried, although she's not actually lost any weight. The GP and the health visitors have all said not to worry but it's tough not to. She put on 3.5 ounces this week, aiming for more than that next week. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment