Thursday 4 June 2009

Politics - why?!

It's been a day of elections today, but I admit to facing these with a fairly significant degree of apathy. The elections were for the local council and for the European parliament, and I realised as I strolled to the polling booth that I had no idea who our current local councillors were, and also no idea who our MEP is. Actually, I didn't even know who our MP was, but I had a quick look on t'internet so I do now.

I was however determined to vote, despite my ignorance, for two reasons:
  1. I might at some point want to whinge about something the local council or the European parliament has done, and I don't feel I have the right to do this unless I've voted.
  2. Lots of women fought hard for my right to vote, so I'd feel guilty for not casting my vote.
Having said that, I voted from a position of dreadful and shameful ignorance. I didn't even read the guff that came through the post box since it all sounds the same: "We promise to reduce crime. And lower taxes. And improve healthcare. And spend more on local services" - could be any party really couldn't it? I ended up voting LibDem in the local elections (which I've done for years, never did any bloomin' good though) and Green in Europe. Dear Mr or Mrs MEP: please can the UK have some flash recycling bins like they do in Spain, where you can recycle pretty much anything? Thanks.

One final thought on this topic: why are our politicians so pathetic? In this ridiculous expenses row, why couldn't there be someone who claimed for items like a Learjet or a private island instead of tins of catfood? Perhaps UK politicians need lessons from some of the more corrupt African nations - that'd liven things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment