Tuesday 7 April 2009

Surviving the Easter holidays

Day 2 of the Easter holidays, and we're surviving so far. In fact, Isabel and I are both quite enjoying it I think. We've done a few useful jobs (Sainsbury's, visit to the library, buying new shoes) and also some fun things (introducing her to all the pregnant NCT ladies, playdates at various friends' houses). Tomorrow it's haircuts and swimming lessons. It's difficult to book things in when you're 38 weeks pregnant though, since I'm very much aware that Pumpkin could decide to make her appearance at any time. The other difficult thing is that my natural inclination is to book lots of things to do, but I'm aware that I shouldn't be pushing myself too hard, so it's a delicate balance at the moment between doing enough to keep Isabel entertained while also not exhausting myself. Plenty of time for being exhausted after the baby's born, as people keep reminding me!

What it's got me wondering though, is what people do about holiday childcare when they're working. I have a reasonably standard holiday allowance (well, standard in the UK, not in the US - sorry about that, US colleagues) but even then five weeks off in a year isn't enough to cover school hols, which in total add up to 13 weeks. Even if Husbandio never took any days off at the same time we'd never be able to cover that. This year, holiday cover is a moot point since I'm on maternity leave for the Easter and summer holidays, and will have enough left to cover half term in October and then Christmas. But in future years this will all become more complex. High prices of going on holiday during the school holidays is one annoying thing, but simply covering all those weeks is going to be hard enough. I guess I'll be investigating holiday clubs and the like, but it seems kind of unfair - kids need some relaxing time as well as more activities. But I certainly won't be able to work with them in the house, that's already been proven beyond doubt. Mind have to call on the grandparents as well I guess, that'll help - they'll be demanding a salary before I know it, and rightly so! My neighbour's got it right - her contract with her job is only for term-time. Now why didn't I think of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment