Friday 2 October 2009

Some things make it all worthwhile

Kids are fun most days, but sometimes they do something that goes beyond the norm. This isn't always a good thing - last week Isabel, my perfect and beloved child, stepped way out of character and drew on the couch with a biro (&^"%£&"^£*&^!!!!), but tonight she went the other way and just charmed me completely.

Isabel had her best friend home from school today, but she could only stay until 5.30pm since she had to go off for her Arabic lesson (just the thought of which makes me feel tired, that sounds hard....). I gave them their tea (fish fingers, waffles, peas, and strawberries and cream for pud) just before 5pm, whereas Isabel's used to eating at 6.30pm, so by the time I'd put Emily to bed and read Isabel her stories it was 8.20pm and rather than being tired, she was hungry. Not good! However, I tried to ignore her, read two stories, tucked her in and came downstairs. When she was still chatting away to herself half an hour later I went up and found her looking through her books with the light on. So I took up two plates with bread and butter and we had a "midnight feast" (OK, an 8.45pm feast!). She was thrilled! She chuckled through both pieces of bread and butter, couldn't stop giggling with glee, and then said "My first midnight feast! My cheeks hurt from smiling too much!" You can't buy that...

No comments:

Post a Comment