Saturday 10 October 2009

Chapter 171: In which my heart almost leaps out of my chest.

It looked like being an uneventful day. I took Isabel to ballet in the morning while Husbandio put Emsy down for a nap at home, and after lunch we prepared for a trip to Sainsbury's. Oh, the excitement. We dropped Husbandio at the gym and we girls headed off for some supermarket fun and games.

Unusually, I decided to put Emsy in one of the baby seats in the supermarket trolley. I usually pick one of the trolleys with a space to put a car seat on top, but didn't this time since (a) she was awake and (b) those one with the car seat holder are dead annoying because you can't see where you're going and (c) I don't like her to spend too much time in the car seat if it can be avoided. So, off we went, and loaded everything in. Isabel still wishes she was smaller and could either ride in the trolley's seat or in the body of the beast with all the shopping, but there wasn't room so she kept jumping on the side and riding along that way. Made the trolley very heavy and difficult to maneouvre, but we successfully got to the checkout.

At this point it all went wrong. After all the shopping had been scanned and I was entering my PIN number I heard a crash, and turned to see the trolley on its side, Isabel crying and shouting about how it was an accident, and Emily still strapped in the baby seat but now only inches from the floor, and screaming her little lungs out. I dashed over, unstrapped her, grabbed Isabel, and tried to figure out if either of them were hurt. Fortunately Isabel had sidestepped quick smart as the trolley went over, and Emsy had been strapped in nice and tight and was only screaming because she'd got a nasty fright. As had Isabel and I, and most of the rest of the supermarket. Ems actually stopped crying before Isabel did (I think part of Isabel's tears were less to do with pain or shock and more to do with concern that I'd blame her for trying to kill her little sister).

The fact that neither of them was hurt was well nigh miraculous. We finished up and limped out to the car, and found when unpacking that the only damage done was two slightly cracked eggs. Which we used later that afternoon to make a carrot cake. Well, we felt we deserved a little comfort food....oh, and if anyone reading this knows my mother, please don't tell her this little tale. She'd have nightmares for the next 20 years (as may I!).

No comments:

Post a Comment