Monday 8 March 2010

Apologies...

Oh dear, sorry - last week exploded and before I knew it the week was done, and then so was the weekend, and no blogging had taken place at all. Tsk tsk tsk. Must try harder.

It was a really crazy week. I drove 200 miles on Monday to Loughborough and back - and nearly didn't make it back since I drove over a pallet which a lorry driving ahead of me down the M1 had dropped. Husbandio was out that evening, and I was then out the following two nights. The first one (which I really did mean to blog about!) was to see Carly Simon perform live at the BBC's Maida Vale studios. It was very cool - she was accompanied by her son Ben Taylor, and he was excellent too. Turns out it was the only live gig she's ever done in the UK, so I felt very privileged. I'd won the tickets in a web site competition and was totally surprised to have won - perhaps I should have bought a lottery ticket that week as well!

Wednesday night was an evening down the pub with some of the mums of kids in Isabel's class. Managed to consume 4 Jack Daniels and coke, not quite sure how. Good night though, and some funny gossip. Which perhaps, this blog being a public forum, I may keep to myself!

Thursday and Friday were both spent in town all day which was knackering in itself. Went to lots of meetings with my boss who was over from California. He also took me to lunch at a curry place in Covent Garden which I love but haven't been to since before Emily was born. I ate far too much, and felt queasy all evening, couldn't even manage my dinner which is most unusual. Turns out it was less a question of too much curry, and more a question of a tenacious stomach bug which stuck with me for the next 4 days and is now plaguing Husbandio. Thought it was kind to share. Emily may have it too, since she was very sick on Saturday night and then again today. Wash the high chair jobs, both of them. Marvellous.

Despite the dodgy tummy I geared myself up for the first weekend we've had away for years. I think we've been away once or maybe twice for the weekend since Isabel's been born, but it's never really been something we do, somehow. Lazy, us? Maybe! Anyway, we went to stay with my cousin, his wife and her daughter in Bath, and went to a point to point race meeting with them and my aunt and uncle. It was great! Bit chilly, but Isabel loved the horses and the drama of hearing them thundering past. No-one other than my aunt won any bets, but it was a lovely day, really nice to be outside and to be doing something out of the ordinary.

By the time we got back yesterday afternoon we were all pooped. Some of us more literally than others. We'd stopped at Leigh Delamere services for some lunch on the way home, having tried and failed to find a pub which (a) didn't look rough, (b) served food and (c) wasn't fully booked. Thank goodness we were in the services, with its spacious and well-equipped changing facilities, since Emily took it upon herself to unleash the most unholy poonami the world has ever seen. She even managed to get Husbandio with it, and he had to change his t-shirt. Glad we had sets of spare clothes for everyone. I wish I'd been able to give her a bath - once I'd stripped her down I realised it was up to her neck at the back, and down to her knees elsewhere. Don't know if it was the bug or teething, but it was messy!

So, now we're all home, starting to recover from our exertions. Husbandio has a cold and the tummy bug at the same time, which isn't much fun, but he's bearing up well. Thank goodness for a quiet week, when the only place I need to visit is Slough. Come, friendly bombs, and all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment