Friday 11 December 2009

Baby food - the labels lie!

I gave Emily a Cow & Gate pot of Peach and Apricot Melba for dessert at lunchtime today, thinking it would make a nice change from apple puree-based products. How naive I was. Apples must be the cheapest fruit to use for baby food, because only 17% of the Peach and Apricot pot was actually made up of peaches and apricots. The vast bulk of it (61%, should you be interested in the detailed stats!) was, you guessed it, apple. I thought it tasted just like the apple one I'd given her a few days before. What a scam. I was a bit cheesed off at the Banana Dairy Dessert too, which sounded yummy and was quite nice except that it was really just banana yogurt. I guess that doesn't sound as impressive. Still, at least it can be stored in the cupboard and not in the fridge. How do they do that anyway - why does it not go off? On second thoughts, don't tell me......

I usually taste everything I give Emily to make sure it's alright, and also because I'm greedy! Her main courses are all home made but I do sometimes use these fruity pots just for convenience. Most of the food tastes really nice if rather oddly textured, but I took a sip of her bottle of formula today (checking the temperature - I'd accidentally over-heated it and wanted to make sure I'd managed to cool it down enough before giving it to her) and it's disgusting! Yuk! And I am someone who likes milk and will gladly drink it neat, unlike Husbandio for whom milk is akin to poison. Formula really does taste horrid - a combination of condensed milk, single cream and iron filings. Seriously, it tastes really metallic. Ugh, vile, I've had to pour myself a large Pinot Grigio to wash away the taste. Hard life!

No comments:

Post a Comment