Friday 22 May 2009

Sleep, or the lack of it

Almost without exception, everybody who sees me at the moment says two things: (1) what a cute baby or how old is he/she or some other baby related question, and then (2) how's she sleeping? People are so interested in how much sleep Emily is getting, and then making a judgment on how tired I may or may not be, it's really funny.

So, for regular readers (hello all four of you!), here's a sleep update. She's not a bad sleeper, but does a lot of it during the day. Like all small babies, she resists sleep at all costs between 6pm and 10pm (although it's 9pm now, and she'd nodded off, so I started writing, but the act of blogging and making a cup of tea has been enough to rouse her from her slumber, curses! But it's low level grizzling rather than full blown rage so I'll carry on typing for a few minutes...Husbandio, the lucky git in this house who isn't breast-feeding, is out on the lash, leaving me to deal with two smalls by myself). After her 10pm-ish feed she usually sleeps through until around 3am or 4am, feeds from one side, but then often falls asleep without a full feed from both sides, causing her to wake up again an hour later for dessert. Which is MOST irritating! Not going to bed til 11pm, being woken up once in the night for half an hour, and then being up at 7am at the latest is bad enough, but being woken up twice in the night is taking the mick, if you ask me.

I don't want to wish her babyhood away, but this aspect of it I could happily dispense with. Roll on the day when she's in bed by 7.30pm, stays there (quietly!) for 12 hours, and visibly recognises me when I walk into the room. It's all plain sailing from there (ha!).

1 comment:

  1. "Not going to bed til 11pm, being woken up once in the night for half an hour, and then being up at 7am at the latest is bad enough"

    "bad enough?" That would count as a really good night's sleep round ours!

    Fancy doing a swap? Two-for-one? :)

    ReplyDelete