Thursday 29 July 2010

Down with the kids

OK, I confess, I am not and have never been down with the kids. Even as a child I used to listen to Capital Gold (a now defunct golden oldies radio station), so sometimes it feels as if I grew up in the 1960s rather than the 1980s - I'm much better on 60s music than 80s! Husbandio will attest that I have terrible taste in music (Chicago, anyone, or a bit of Foreigner?) but I've got to the point of not caring. I like what I like, and I'm not that bothered if other people do or don't.

And one of the things I like is country music. My mum used to play Johnny Cash and others when I was a kid, and it's always stuck with me. One of her other favourites was Kris Kristofferson, and we went to see him play live last night at Cadogan Hall in London. It's the third time we've seen him, and this was without a doubt the best of the bunch. The concert really showcased the man's talent - it was just him, a guitar and a harmonica on stage for two hours, with a short interval. At times you could tell he was 74, but his voice hasn't really changed, like Johnny Cash's did as he got older. The only sign of age was when he occasionally struggled with the lyrics or with someone's name.

I think it's the the sheer poetry of his work which I like. The lyrics are just beautiful in many cases - how about "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. Nothing ain't worth nothing, but it's free"? And I like the humour as well - The Silver Tongued Devil and I is a clever song, and a funny one, but also one with a real message - people do change when they drink, and we all have more than one side to us. And I always loved the lines "Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic food. He believed in love and peace and never wore no shoes. Long hair, beard and sandals and a funky bunch of friends. Reckon they'd just nail him up if He come down again."

I felt sad when we left though since it seems unlikely that we'll see him play again - I wanted to freeze the whole thing in time, so that I could re-visit it whenever I want to. Guess I'll just have to keep listening to the new album to remind me of how much I enjoyed the evening. Thanks Mum, for introducing me to Kris, and taking me to see him one more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment